Sun Protection 101: Hat Wearing Tips
As you all know this month we are promoting the idea of wearing a hat in order to protect your skin. Of course a hat does not take the place of a great skin care routine, protective sun block or sun protective glasses. You should wear your hat to keep out harmful rays both on top of your head and on your face. That said, all hats are not created equal and few are made as well as a Wallaroo. To be sure you’ll happily wear your new hat for years to come, consider the following hat wearing tips:
Hats Enhance Your Natural Beauty
- Try on several colors and select one that you like and that flatters your skin tone. It’s a quick and easy way to brighten your face without wearing makeup.
- Select a crown shape that complements the shape of your face and head. Rounded crowns work for almost any face, while square crowns work better for larger heads.
- When trying on hats, be sure to position the hat in the center of your head, covering half of your forehead. One common mistake women make is wearing their hat too far back on the crown of their head.
- Are you searching for a new look? Hats are a fun way to change or enhance your personal style. Consider your lifestyle and everyday activities when choosing a hat or two to add to your everyday wardrobe.
- If you are concerned with keeping your skin young and supple and want to take precautions against skin cancer, be sure to wear a hat with at least a 3″ brim. Also be sure to purchase a hat that is UPF 50+, the highest sun protection rating available.
What will you wear your hat for?
Search for the right look, fit and color. Trendy hats can be fun, but you won’t wear it if it doesn’t fit well or isn’t a flattering color and shape.
Outdoor Play & Sun Protection
Shop for color, fit, brim size, quality fabric and quality construction. If you’re going to play outside, you need a hat that fits well during activity, covers your skin from the sun and is washable so you can freshen it up after heavy outdoor use. You also need a hat that will maintain its shape, which requires well-made fabric and solid construction.
Look for a hat that is versatile. First, consider how often you’ll be in the sun, what outdoor activities you’ll be doing, and what events you’ll be attending. Second, the hat should look good on you and complement your vacation wardrobe. Finally, shop for a hat that is packable – you’ll want it to maintain shape and look great when you get where you’re going, but you won’t want to bring a hatbox on your trip. Many of our hats are packable – the product description will have simple packing information if it is. For more detailed instructions, read here.
Everyday Wear & Sun Protection
If you are buying a hat that you’d like to wear for multiple occasions, including travel, outdoor play and everyday sun protection, shop for color, fit, brim size, quality fabric and quality construction so that the hat maintains shape for years to come. Also look for hats that are washable and crushable for easy travel.
The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends Wallaroo hats with a UPF rating and a 3” brim or wider as an effective UV protectant.
We think it’s pretty cool that our friends at Wallaroo Hat company have received the seal of approval from The Skin Cancer Foundation—the only international organization devoted solely to education, prevention, early detection, and prompt treatment of the world’s most common cancer. To earn the Seal of Recommendation, a manufacturer must provide scientific data showing that its product sufficiently and safely “aids in the prevention of sun-induced damage to the skin.” The data is reviewed by a volunteer committee of photobiologists – experts in the study of the interaction between UV radiation and the skin. If that’s not a reason to wear a hat this summer, we don’t know what is.
Here’s the Criteria for the Seal of Approval:
- An ultraviolet protection factor (UPF) of 30 or higher
- Acceptable test results according to the American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists method or AS/NZS Standard
- For hats, in addition to the fabric requirements specified above, a minimum brim width of 3 inches
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.