April 08, 2015
As you know by now we are in our fourth month of the Dozen Little Things challenge. For those of you who are just jumping on board this is our way of committing to twelve small, incremental changes throughout the year (one per month) that we can implement easily. The point is to focus on things that will over time, translate into twelve new healthy habits. Join us, it’s never too late to start.
We are giving spring-cleaning a new meaning for April. Our theme this month is to Detox. Many people cringe when they hear the word, anticipating deprivation or all liquid diets. First off, we eschew anything that is going to make us miserable, who can be radiant or even nice if they’re starving, right?
Our philosophy is different; we believe you can detox your diet or your routine without having to give something up but rather adding in healthier alternatives. We will focus on cleaning out the toxins and cleaning up our health routine that has fallen to the wayside over winter.
We have enlisted the help and guidance of detox and natural health expert, Dr. Christine Schaffner, to help us demystify detox. She uses her background in holistic health and conventional medicine in combination, resulting in a no-nonsense take on detox. With simple changes, you can join us on our detox adventure.
To get you started here are a few ideas that you can start doing now:
- Switch out packaged snacks for fruit or veggies loaded with nutrients
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice to your water for its alkalizing effects
- Introduce a leafy green vegetable to every meal after noon
- Replace toxic beauty products with all natural alternatives
- Drink more water
- Grab a handful of almonds and a few handfuls of apples or baby carrots to scrub out impurities in your digestive track
- Used sliced avocado with a sprinkle of sea salt onto your toast in the morning instead of butter
- Switch out your afternoon coffee with antioxidant rich green tea
- Try an all natural deodorant (we are on the lookout, if you find a good one let us know!)
Stay tuned as Kari, Sally and Mandi embark on their April Detox adventure, and tips from our wellness expert, Dr. Christine Schaffner. (Spoiler Alert: Look what just arrived today!)